Pages


Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 1 - Ferntree Gully to Mildura

Well, after just under 11 and a half hours on the road, I have finally made it to the Big4 caravan park in mildura. I really took it casually, not really thinking about the distance I needed to travel in order to make it here tonight. There was a bit of extra driving as I wanted to go via Kerang.

Started the drive just after 5.30, heading towards the zoo for my first geocache near to the Melbourne tigers home ground "The Cage". Nice easy find. Continued on, stopping at maccas at ~7am for some brecky. After that, next stop, Bendigo for a stretch. The morning was glorious, clouds cleared away to a beautiful sunny day. Found a number of geocaches along the way, although, one of the multi's was quite a bit out of the way at Boort, it finished at the airport. Anyway, after I left Kerang, the driving got a bit dull, flat Barron land for quite a bit of it. I did have a few drops of rain from a single rather large black cloud that was hovering around above. Finally crossed over the border of VIC/NSW after a fuel stop which meant I was not far away. It did get to a point at ~4pm where I just wanted to get there. Anyway, I finally did and made my way to the caravan park and set up the tent. Made a couple of calls to family to let them know I had survived the day. At about 7.30 we got some actual rain along with strong winds, didn't last long, and I was able to cook my dinner outside. And then type this under the stars of a clear night.

Distance driven: 701.6km
Geocaches found: 15 (2 Multi and 13 Traditional)
Caravan park rating: 6/10 (have to start low otherwise nowhere to go)

No comments:

Post a Comment