Pages


Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 8 - Wilpena to Port Augusta

When I got up this morning, I was still undecided as to weather or not I would head north and do a small section of the oodnadatta Track from Maree to the edge of Lake Eyre then back south via Olympic Dam and Wimera. A conversation with a bloke over a sink washing dishes made up my mind, He said there is a possibility it could "Really Rain" over the next couple of days which could change the track from Dry to totally wet and undrivable with my car, so play it safe.....

I first headed north to find some caches I missed 2 days ago and to drive down the Brachina Gorge Geological Trail, very interesting, so many different different types of rock along 1 road. Anyway, I found my caches then headed slightly further north to Parachilna, and to Parachilna Gorge where the Heysen Trail finishes. There was a lady there who is a friend of the trail and she was waiting for a group of 34 that were finishing the track today, apparently they have been doing it in sections over the last 6 years.



Anyway, now the rest of the day was dedicated to mostly driving back over familiar ground, from here to Port Augusta where I would stay the night. I have now driven over 2000 Km.

Distance Driven: 356.1km (2079.9km total)
Geocaches Found: 16 (3 Earth, 13 Trad) (93 Total)
Caravan Park Rating: 6/10 (Noisy and Expensive, Clean Bathroom)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bro,

    Just got back from Cairns/Port Douglas so I thought I would see if I could post a comment as I can't seem to with the iPad. I'm impressed with your cache count - were you expecting to get that many? Karen and I found 3 with one DNF.

    Love the blog - it is a great way to remember your trip too.

    ReplyDelete