Pages


Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 3 - Renmark to Port Pirie

Today was a good day, I really tried to berak up the driving today by stopping every 5 metres :) I mean every 50Km and doing a short walk or even just getting out of the car to find a cache. the distance today seemed much shorter then it really was as a result.

I started in Renamrk where I firstly found a cache, then headed out via a coffee from maccas. My first stop was at a town called Monash where there was this massive adventure playground, ohhh it would be great to be 8 years old again. Nonetheless I went in and had a look anyway (FREE Entry) and had a go at the maze.

Next was a place called Herons Bend where there is a pub but nothing else, I went for a walk out on the flood plains, lots of birdlife around. Unfortunately due to the rain, the ground was sticking to my shoes and every step i took I grew taller with the buildup of mud. anyway, I made it back to the car, unfortunately the pub was closed on Mondays, I noticed a line on the wall about 3/4 of the way up and it was marked at the 1956 flood level!!!

I saw a Camel farm as well as an emu farm where they had cows and Emu's living together!! In The Same Field!!

Next real stop was a place called Morgan where there was a constant flow of traffic on the car ferry they had running there. I grabbed some lunch while I was there.

My next stop was a cache called "Boot Camp" which was basically a Tree with probably 100 or more Shoes tied to it as well as a rather large pile on the ground. I didnt find the cache, apparently it is in one of the shoes.

It is amazing how the landscape changes, the land on both sides was pretty much desolate unusable land, then all of a sudden, it changes to beautiful green rolling hills just at I am approaching Burra, an old tin mining town. I spent an hour or so in Burra, exploring all the old buildings as well as checking out the views over the town and the mine. I did a caching tour of Burra.

Next stop, my last for the night, Port Pirie. I arrived early enough to set up my tent and get it drying, this morning was the second morning in a row I packed up a wet tent - not fun!!

Anyway, daylight was still around, so I headed out again towards Port Flinders, Weeroona Island, not really an island, except when the ocean high tide is very very high. I found a great spot where there was a fantastic view of the setting sun. Anyway, time to grab some fuel and back to town to grab some takeaway dinner and sit on the beach to eat it.

I got the net working on the laptop again, so hopefully some pictures tonight.

Distance driven: 394.4km (1278.3km total)
Geocaches found: 20 (20 traditional)(53 total)
Caravan park rating 6 out of 10 (Cheap Though!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow - that's a shed load of caches so far! Great work on the writing, your turn of phrase is very good. Our cache count in cairns is still zero.

    ReplyDelete