Pages


Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Day 17 - Glen Helen Gorge

Today was a good day J firstly the car started as it normally does, so gotta be happy with that. So off I went to climb the 4th highest mountain in Northern Territory – Mount Sonder.
Mount Sonder is rated as a 16+km track, and about 8 hours. I am not sure who rated this one, as I was back at the car after 4.5 Hours including 30 minutes at the top. Anyway, well worth the effort, the views from the top were nothing short of amazing. The climb was not as difficult as I expected, the hardest, although a touch less time taken was on the way back down, very hard on ankles and knees. Anyway, I got to the top, took the obligatory photos including a couple of me at the summit cairn, went and found the cache, which was quite easy considering the description given, had a bite to eat and headed back down to the car. As I was heading back, I saw what I believe is the biggest lizard I had ever seen, it had to be 1 metre long, not sure what it was, too quick for any camera action, it just scampered over the rocks and out of sight.
On the way down, I took the small side trip to Redbank Gorge, possibly the least impressive of the gorges I have seen so far, but nice anyway.
After that, I went to see Serpentine gorge, the Road to the gorge was listed as unmade, I would not have liked to do it in a normal 2WD. Beautiful gorge, forgot camera!!!!! I decided not to go back 1.5km to get it. Anyway, it is in my memory.
Next stop was a lookout on the way back to Glen Helen, great view over the West MacDonnell Ranges. Last stop for the day was Ormiston Gorge again, to just sit on the sand in the shade and relax for half an hour before heading back to my campsite. Very nice once again.
Distance Driven: 126.8km (4867.1km total)
Geocaches Found: 2 (2 Trad)(??? Total)
Caravan Park Rating: 7.5/10 (cheap and cheerful, a pub inside the Homestead, plenty of space, very beautiful gorge nearby)

No comments:

Post a Comment