Pages


Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Day 16 – Alice Springs to Glen Helen Gorge

Today started with excitement, but unfortunately that soon faded which I will explain at the end.
First things first, grab some fuel, and then head along Larapinta drive, first stop, Simpsons Gap. A beautiful spot to stop for lunch or a BBQ, but it was too early for that. Then I headed straight for Glen Helen Homestead where I will stay for the next 2 nights. I did 2 side trips today, first to Ormiston Gorge and wow, how spectacular it was, I first headed into the gorge itself, then I did a 2.5km section of the Pound Walk, I was feeling a little dizzy and maybe slightly de-hydrated, so I headed back to the car with the intention of going back to camp. I started feeling a little better after a can of lemonade, so I drove past, and onto Tylers Pass Lookout which gave me a great view of Haasts Bluff as well as either Kings canyon or Maybe Finke Gorge NP. I then headed back to Glen Helen where I explored the Gorge for the afternoon.
Now to my worry, for some reason when I start my car, it seems to have trouble turning over, I am not sure what the problem is, and it only started this morning. It makes me feel very anxious, I am not really sure what to do. I talked to Dean the manager here, he really just told me not to worry, if I do break down at any of the gorges, someone will be around to help, and to just get it checked at a battery place when I get back to Alice Springs. I still have that element of concern in the back of my mind…. What if I do break down?
Anyway, I will go out to Redbank Gorge tomorrow and climb mount Sonder and see how it goes.
No Internet access for 2 days, so you won’t see this until I get back to Alice Springs. If we can’t find any problems, I may start heading back to Melbourne a couple of days early.
Not sure what happened to the day 16 stats....
Distance Driven: ??
Geocaches Found: 3 (3 Trad)(123 Total)
Caravan Park Rating: 7.5/10 (cheap and cheerful, a pub inside the Homestead, plenty of space, very beautiful gorge nearby)

No comments:

Post a Comment