Pages


Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 9 - Port Augusta to Coober Pedy

Until this trip, I always thaught it was "Cooper Pedy" Not sure Why!!

Anyway, the morning started bright and early as a nearby camper decided to leave at 6AM, so I figured I may as well get up too. So, I was dressed, washed last nights dishes and car packed by 7.15AM. First thing I did was have a look at the Australian Arid Lands Botanic park which was very interesting, all the different types of plant and birdlife that grow/live in the different regions of SA as well as other parts of Australia. Next was to continue along the Stuart Highway towards Coober Pedy, stopping when I felt like it. My first main stop was at Lake Hart, which apparently normally a Salt bed with some fantastic reflections today there was definately water in it, and I am definately getting closer to the centre of Australia with the temperatures rising to ~28 degrees outside. Next stop was Glendambo where I stopped for a very average Hamburger for lunch. I then basically headed straight to Coober Pedy and arrived ~3PM. I took some time to take a walk around the town, then grabbed some groceries for dinner.

Some observations about today - Why would any animal want to live anywhere along this stretch of road? There seemed to be some sort of roadkill every few kilometers. I hit my first animal today, a very small bird, I looked in my rear vision mirror and it was laying on the road, maybe just stunned? There was a basically empty field at one point with 2 emus wondering around looking for food why would they choose to be there? I was driving along and at one point all the land seemed flat, all the shrubs were very low and the sky was totally blue, not a cloud in the sky, something that really cannot be photographed, but if i didnt know otherwise, I would have thought the world was flat.

Distance Driven: 558.2km (2638.1km total)
Geocaches Found: 7 (7 Trad) (100 Total)
Caravan Park Rating: 7.5/10 (Noisy, Very Nice setting tho.)

No comments:

Post a Comment