Pages


Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Day 4 - Port Pirie to Hawker

I decided today was going to be more of a relaxing day, but of course what I decide and what happens is not necessarily the same thing. First things first, get some more fuel and a new pair of sun glasses, as the hinge just broke off my previous five buck market pair.

I had another amazing scenery change today, as I went from flat sometimes grassy fields ans sometimes arid land to mountainous red rock, I realy feel I am heading towards the centre of Australia now.

First thing I did before the scenery change was to walk out to the end of one mile jetty in port Germain. It just seemed to go on forever. I did mu first real (all be it short) hike today when I reached Quorn, I did the now traditional caching tour of the town, then I headed ~10km out of town where I hiket up to the top of devils peak, around 2.5km, but 150m plus up!! well worth it with a 360 degree panorama of the valley. Awsome!!!!

I then headed towards Hawker, my intended stop for the night. via a few roadside caches, including one at Kanyaka which was an old homestead and also where the Ghan used to pass through. Nice spot.

Arrived at Hawker ( Thought it was a much bigger ), set up camp and off I went again to check out the walks about town. I did therr. First one called Castle Hill, a 1.5Km return trip, that was followed by a walk up police hill to find a cache. Last one was the best, it is also part of the Heysen Trail which starts in cape Jervis below Adelaide and heads north to Parachilna gorge North of Wilpena Pound. A long 1200km Multi week Hiking Trail.

Anyway, thats it for today, tomorrow will head the ~60km to Wilpena Pound National Park

Time to fill in the Census!!

Distance driven:247.5km (1525.8km total)
Geocaches found: 15 (15 traditional)(68 total)
Caravan park rating 6 out of 10 (It is hard to be critical of a place that costs $10.80 per night)

No comments:

Post a Comment