Pages


Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 25 – Hamilton to Halls Gap

Today started with Andre’s five kids attempting to be quiet and sneaking up to me on the lounge floor to see if I was awake and me just pretending to be asleep. Anyway, at 8.30, Lindi took three of the kids to school and I said goodbye to Andre and the remaining kids and was on my way.
Today was a rather short driving day. I started by finding a couple of Hamilton caches, then made my way towards Dunkeld. I went into the Visitors centre where I was told I was lucky to be getting through as the Road to halls Gap had only just re-opened 10 days earlier after the floods earlier in the year. I started heading towards Halls gap and noticed a cache at Picaninni, not far along which had great views. So, I grabbed the camera and the GPS and headed the 2.4km track. I reached the top and indeed the views were marvellous, I get  the camera out and get the message “Change Battery Pack”, no problem, spare battery is in my pocket…… No it’s not, back in the car on the front seat…. Bugger, anyway, I know there was a great view, Sat for a while and walked back to the car. I continued along the road and was going to climb Mount abrupt, but the track to the summit was still closed, so I moved onto another cache caller “Ripping Yarns #1” which turned out to be quite a difficult one. I ended up going cross country bush bashing for ~150 metres to a rock face which I had to climb to claim the prize. The view was worth it, fantastic. In the cache, I found a Harry Potter travel Bug with a Broken wand and I just accidentally broke his head off!! Soon after I got back to the car, I headed for Halls Gap, where I have booked into my very last caravan park for this Holiday. I have been hit by the tired police, so have decided to spend the rest of the afternoon resting at the campground, ready for a four or so hour drive home tomorrow.
About a dozen or so Kangaroos have just hopped into the campground and are quietly nibbling on the grass.
Distance Driven: 115.0km (7589.5km total)
Geocaches Found: 5 (5 Trad)(201 Total)
Caravan Park Rating: 8.5/10 (I Have stayed here before, Nice grassed areas for tents, Clean Toilet/Shower Blocks. Nothing special)

No comments:

Post a Comment