Pages


Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 6 - Dingley Dell Campsite to Wilpena Campground

Today was an early start as I didnt sleep too well and was awake anyway, so got up at 6.30 and walke to Perawurtina Cultural Heritage Site where there was supposed to be some Aboriginal signs. I could not find them!! Back to camp, had some breakfast and packed up the gear in readiness to go on a couple of walks today.

I started with the Trezona loop walk which I must say is fantastic, despite me getting lost after 5 minutes, I ended back up on the road and no track markers to be seen. I decided to just wakl along the road and soon enough I found the track marker I was after. I must say, they make their wakling tracks very well in the Flinders Ranges, with a distance marker every 200 metres. This hike started with open grassland then soon followed with some gorges. I also noticed a Hut used by the Heysen Trail Hikers, definately nothing like the ones on the alps track. Apparently there used to be an early 1900's tin shed but they tore it down and replaced it with a brick building!! Why, I do not know. anyway, the walk followed along, across some dry river beds and into some more open countryside, where there were many signs telling me how old the rocks were, anything up to 620 million years old. I then passed the intended Start point for this walk at Trezona Campground. From there, I basically followed the creek along back to the car. Upon arriving at the car, I noticed the path I should have taken to start the walk. 8.4km, not a bad start to the morning.

The rest of the day was driving to places and having a look around. I started at the old Aroona Hut and Homestead Ruins, which was along what is best described as a 4WD track. The subie seemed to cope with the road including the 2 river crossings. I then headed back to where I intended to camp for the night, Acraman Campground. Once I had set up camp realised I would rather be camping in Wilpena, so packed up again and headed all the way back, not before heading even further away to check out the largest Aboriginal artwork in the Flinders Ranges, as well as finding my cache for the day.

I had to pay to camp (Despite already having paid for another nights Bush Camping in the national park) Wilpena campsite is privately owned, so pay seperately. Price is the same anyway, and there is a shower calling me right now.

FYI, I did have fun in my simi 4WD mode today.

Distance Driven: 97.00km (1723.8km total)
Geocaches Found: 1 (1 Traditional) (75 Total)
Caravan Park Rating: 9/10 (Ahhh, the serenity)

No comments:

Post a Comment